Friday, January 31, 2014

blind wander

Ice fishing is not for the lazy, especially for those who walk their gear out long distance. I'm no sissy but my sled kicks my ass sometimes. Throw in some snowy drifts and sub zero temps, and its a real knock out.

After a strenuous exertion sometimes I get content sitting down over unproductive holes for longer then they deserve. The shack is warm and the ice is thick, and hand cranking 24 inches of ice sure makes one rationalize that new jiffy propane auger...

The pinnacle of my ice season so far has been a blurry photo of just an average sized crappie.

pistakee bay crappie
I poked around out deep for quite awhile. Fishing for hours with no bites, I tried to stay mobile by drilling lots of holes and making dramatic moves. I must have hit the lottery in the shallows out east of the island because in the next few moments I ripped a mixed bag of twenty fish out of a non suspecting hole. Oddly enough, no one around me caught much and I caught nothing else after that even while continuing to move. I don't contribute that to being more savvy then another but my blind wander did put me in the right place at the right time...

Feeling the accomplishment

8 comments:

  1. I hate when you get a foot of snow on the ice. It really limits mobility. Nice Crappie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i couldnt imagine the joy of driving a an atv to my fishing spots, till the i walk

      Delete
  2. Blake
    You are talking about my kind of fish, the crappie, has to be of the best fish to eat anywhere. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. indeed, yum, im too lazy to clean fish though

      Delete
  3. I'm no fan of ice fishing, but I can appreciate the guys that do go out, and ice fish. Having to lug all of that gear, and drill holes in the snow/cold doesn't appeal to me, but kudos to you, man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i thought that too, never say never, its been a long winter...

      Delete
  4. Blake
    The ass kicking only gets worse as time goes by...ha, ha ,ouch!
    Check out Clam corp's auger adapter plate for a cordless drill. I get about 180" of ice on an older 18 volt ni-cad battery and it only weighs about 14 lbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for that, ill check it out, ive never like cordless drills though cordless, can never seem to keep em charged. i switched over to a cord model bout 5 years back... hmmm

      maybe my friend will just buy the propane auger!

      Delete